Valentine's Day. A classic time of love and relationships. For some it brings joy. For others it's painful.
So what are some practical tips for growing your marriage to something that is meaningful AND has a message? Let's explore some practical ideas and good tools for growing a flourishing relationship.
Life moves fast. Very fast.
But relationships do not happen by speed.
Marriage Expresses a Message
Marriage is the foundation of a family that honors Christ (Eph. 5) and essential to the health of His Church. How we do this key relationship gives a message about who God is. It impacts the gospel message to the next generation, to one another as the body of Christ…but also to the world.
Not perfect? Great! Even our marriage trials glorify God, reminding of our need for what Jesus did for us and the gospel! Just be real about our need!
Your marriage speaks a message of great meaning.
Marriage with Meaning
But to convey that meaning we must take time with each other. In this special month, please take a moment to check in with your spouse with FamilyLife's Dennis Rainey’s 10 questions below.
Set yourself up for success with these tips:
- If all at once is hard, try a question a day.
- Agree on a time when you both are in a good place, emotionally and physically rested. Or have a special date in a place you both enjoy.
- Take time beforehand so you have time to think …and no one is surprised.
- And enjoy the discussion!
Here are the questions:
- What could I do to make you feel more loved?
- What could I do to make you feel more respected?
- What could I do to make you feel more understood?
- What could I do to make you more secure?
- What can I do to make you feel more confident in our future direction?
- What attribute would you like me to develop?
- What attribute would you like me to help you develop?
- What achievement in my life would bring you greatest joy?
- What would indicate to you that I really desire to be more Christ like?
- What mutual goal would you like to see us accomplish?
An optional-and courageous-choice: Have I overlooked any question you would like for me to ask?
Remember: Following Jesus means working on your marriage and family relationships too. And relationships take time!
It’s important, but don’t be too serious…have FUN!!
Develop a Marriage with Meaning & Message
So, in this classic month of love and relationships, take the opportunity to check out and invest in your marriage AND invite neighbors or community friends to do so with you.
- **Make** a time for that date with a quiet morning or evening and a favorite coffee or tea. (**Note: This is the hardest part often. What gets scheduled, gets done. And, if God called you into marriage, a time to connect is good to get scheduled. 😊)
- Our annual Date Night is featuring XO Marriage Conference by MarriageToday on Feb. 23-24, 2018 will have Max Lucado, Craig Groeschel and others. A simulcast for only $10/person or $20/couple and includes great appetizers and lunch! Register or read more in the Wed. e-news, at rfcov.org, or click here.
- Weekend to Remember by FamilyLife is a weekend away March 2-4, 2018, if you don’t mind spending a bit. Use our group code (rfcov17) and check the e-news or here.