Happy Mother's Day. A lot of assumption in those words.
If you struggle with Mother's Day, either because of your own life or the difficulties with a mom, you are not alone. Check out some of the experiences of these mom's from the Bible.
- Eve had her son Cain murder her other son Abel.
- Sarah loses faith in God's promises and has her husband consummate a child with another woman.
- Sarah doesn't have a child until old age.
- Rebekah prompted and equipped her son Jacob to cheat Esau, her other son, out of his birthright.
- In an ironic turn, Rebekah likely grieved when her son Jacob is cheated by her brother-in-law for the hand of marriage with Rachel (resulting in 14 years of service).
- Naomi (from the book of Ruth) had her husband die, leaving her with two sons. The two sons died, leaving two daughter-in-laws. Naomi released them to leave and one did leave her for her homeland. The other, Ruth, remained with her.
- The mother of James and John (2 of the 12 disciples) misunderstood Christ's kingdom vision and tried to have her kids moved into primary places of power in Jesus' group (a political move).
- Mary loses track of Jesus after a festival in Jerusalem.
- Mary had to see her son, Jesus, crucified for things she knew were not true. (Many also believe her husband, Joseph, had died young as Jesus gives Mary to his disciple John to care for with Jesus' approaching death.)
God knows life is not easy. So whether our children have departed from our wishes, we have distrusted God, we've hurt our families, or have had these things done to us, there is hope.
God's story in your life is not stuck, whether from a wrong done to you or a wrong you have done. Even as it was not stuck for the moms above. God's plan and story went on through them. And it will go on through you.
We wish you a happy Mother's Day. Maybe not because it is all you wish it would be but because regardless of what it is, God walks with you... and so do we.
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. --Romans 8:37-39