OUR CURRENT SERIES: Advent: Christmas Decorations
Luke 1:5-25, 57-58.
Story of Zechariah and keeping hope alive by realizing that in Christ we have hope beyond our circumstances.
THIS SUNDAY, DECEMBER 16
Special Notes for All Ages
- 8:15a & 10:45a | Advent Worship Services
- Adult Christmas Tea **Bring a plate of cookies, etc. to share!**
- Students: Middle School and High School Sunday School classes
- Children’s Christmas practice in Worship Center
- 4:00p Children’s Christmas Program: “Through Another’s Eyes”
UPCOMING CHRISTMAS TIME SCHEDULE
Remember These Special Notes!
- Sunday, Dec. 23 Advent 4, 8:15 and 10:45a Worship (No Sunday Schools)
- Monday, Dec. 24 Christmas Eve Candlelight Services | 3:00p and 5:00p
- Wednesday, Dec. 26 No Wednesday Ministries
- Sunday, Dec. 30
- Special Time: 10:00a (One Service Only)
- No Sunday School
- Wednesday, Jan. 2 No Wednesday Ministries (Note: **Confirmation Parent Conferences TODAY**)
- Sunday, Jan. 6 Missionaries Jared & Hannah Baker here! Sunday School starts up again (2 y.o to Adult)
- Wednesday, Jan. 9 START! All Wednesday Ministries
REGISTER NOW! FINANCIAL PEACE UNIVERSITY
Begins Monday, January 14 | Sign Up & See Info Below
To sign up go to this link: https://fpu.com/1068634
Is it for you?
· Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have financial security?
· Do you know what God wants you to do with the money He has trusted you with?
· Do you ever have too much money at the end of the month?
· Are you sick and tired of being sick and tired?
What will you learn?
· A proven method on getting out of debt and stay out of debt
· How to budget your income and stick to the plan
· If you are married, how to set financial goals and work together to achieve them
· Dave Ramsey’s seven baby steps to financial freedom
· The importance of insurance and the best buys in the insurance world
· How to plan for your child’s college and retire with dignity
· How to live like no one else, so you can live and give like no one else
· Starts January, 14th, 2019
· Monday nights at 6:30pm
· Classes last 1 ½ hours (with optional 30 minutes after for open discussion and Q&A session if needed)
· This is a nine-week course.
· Childcare available by RSVP-ing your needs with the church office.
How to sign up:
- To sign up go to this link: https://fpu.com/1068634
- To learn more: https://www.daveramsey.com/
- Cost: $129.99 for annual FPU membership, which includes:
◦ Instant access to online lessons, tools, coaching and the Dave Ramsey Community
◦ All materials shipped directly to you (shipping included)
◦ Attend as many FPU classes as you’d like during your membership
◦ Subscription to EveryDollar Plus App: https://www.daveramsey.com/everydollar?snid=start.everydollar
◦ Digital tools to help stay motivated
◦ If a couple, one membership covers both
For more info or to discuss whether FPU is right for you: contact FirstCov’er Luke Strehlau: email@example.com
STARTS JAN. 9: The Gospel Project: STUDY THE BIBLE ACROSS GENERATIONS
New Sunday School Series: Children, Youth, & Adults
Starting Sunday, January 9, 2019!! Join us as we study the same Bible passages across ages!! Our Ministry Teams of Children, Youth, and Adult have all gotten behind this great opportunity!
- Study the whole Bible in an accessible way (and you can join any time to benefit!)
- See how the WHOLE Bible is pointing to Jesus (not just the New Testament).
- Our generations, including families, will be studying the SAME PASSAGES so there is opportunity for deeper discussions across ages.
Where Can I Find It?
- Children: Sunday School
- Middle School: Sunday School
- High School: Intermittently in Sunday School
- Adults: Sunday School
How May You Gain?
We invite and encourage you to consider being part of this for a couple reasons:
- Have the opportunity to study the whole Bible with others.
- Be equipped to engage your family or other generations who are studying the same passages.
- Have Jesus glorified to you in new ways (especially has you study the OT).
- Use the resources given to the children and youth as a teaching time with your child.
FOCUS ON LIFE
December Theme: Starvation/Hunger
Learn about this important area with information, prayer, and tangible steps (right here!) for being Christ’s hands and feet in the world! The Social Concerns Ministry Team provides this monthly reminder for you, your family, and your small group! Check out this summary blog post here to learn more and see this year’s themes. (Subscribe to the blog on the right to get updates in your Inbox.)
MONTHLY FAMILY MINISTRY RESOURCE
December: Advent Devotionals
Each month, this table will have a resource related to family life (parenting, marriage, etc.)! This month, use an Advent devotional as a couple or as a family to reflect and prepare for Christmas!
Something for Everyone!
- 3:30-5:00p Confirmation (7th-8th grade)
- 5:30-6:10p Suppers (Donation requested)
- Awana (K-6th grade)
- Confirmation (7th- 8th grade)
- SOLID Youth Group (9th-12th grade)
- 6:30-7:30p Prayer Group (adults)
Prepare for Christmas with Great Resources
There are many good ways to use Advent (the 4 Sundays before Christmas) for preparing to celebrate Christmas. Here are just two:
- Focus on the Family: Advent devotionals for individuals and families from Focus on the Family.
- Download the YouVersion of the Bible on to your phone or tablet or go to www.bible.com for a web-based version for your computer.
- General: Sign up for an Advent/Christmas plan. Goes from a couple days to more. From text based to video. Exploring Christmas songs, grief, and other interesting options.
- Adults & Youth (Older Families): Check out “The Advent Project”.
- Families with Younger Kids (up to elementary): Connect modern traditions with Jesus’ birth. Join these Buck Denver based devotionals from the c0-creator of Veggie Tales.
- Try “Why Do We Call It Christmas?” here.
- 10 Days with video and then a devotional reading.
- Along with good Scripture, connect modern traditions with Jesus' birth: What's in the Bible? Santa Clause? Christmas trees? Surprising and fun connections.
- Try “Buck Denver’s Big Questions About Christmas”. Similar to above, but 12 days long.
- Day 1: Why Is Christmas So Confusing?
- Day 2: Why Do We Call it Christmas?
- Day 3: Why Do We Celebrate on December 25th?
- Day 4: What Year Was Jesus Born?
- Day 5: Why Do We Have Christmas Trees?
- Day 6: Who Is St. Nicholas?
- Day 7: How Did St. Nicholas Become Santa Claus?
- Day 8: Why Does Santa Ring a Bell?
- Day 9: What is Hanukkah?
- Day 10: Where Was Jesus Born?
- Day 11: What Special Message Did the Angels Bring?
- Day 12: Who is Emmanuel?
- Try “Why Do We Call It Christmas?” here.
- Men’s “IRON” Group: Come support and encourage each other in following Christ with your whole life. Come as you can and as you are. Thursdays at 8:15p. Contact Mark Majerus about location (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- College & Young Adults: Join others your age for some fun, study, and connecting after our 10:45a Sunday Worship Services. There is also a Lunch on the first Sunday of the month after the 10:45 service. Contact Neil Vance, our Youth Director, for more info!
Sunday, Jan. 6 | Preaching: Jared & Hannah Baker
Let’s welcome and hear from these missionaries we have been supporting in prayer and financially. They currently serve in France. They will be bringing the message on this Sunday. If you would like to hear more and visit with them, join them at China Moon following second service for lunch.
SAVE THE DATE! CONGREGATIONAL VITALITY PROCESS
Dream Again: Discerning Our Priorities for the Coming Year Workshop
Saturday, January 19 | 9:00a to 2:00p
Free with lunch provided. RSVP here! Time for the next workshop in the process! The purpose of “Dream Again,” is to provide church leaders and/or the congregation, an opportunity to both affirm what is and has worked well at the church and to use an “Appreciative Inquiry” approach as the basis for future ministry planning & goal setting. It is designed as a ministry planning workshop within the “Congregational Vitality Pathway.” The “Appreciative Inquiry” process is used to give the congregation a purposeful process for conversation, discovery and spiritual discernment. This is accomplished through a “4-D Cycle” (Discovery--Dream--Design--Deliver). The hope and prayer is that greater faithfulness and fruitfulness is realized through the ministry of the church as a result of this process. You can RSVP with the church office to help plan the lunch etc.
MEN’S NO REGRETS CONFERENCE: TICKETS ON SALE!
Saturday, February 2 8a-4p | No Regrets Conference | Simulcast Site Here!
A special time for guys to seek Christ and get inspired for following him in everyday life! Great speakers and a good time together! Learn about No Regrets here OR Buy tickets (and learn more) here. $20 includes lunch (if by January 28)!