Mental health issues are complex. If you have ever seen anyone struggle with depression or anxiety, you know it is a very painful place.
And the Church has dealt with them well at times...and poorly.
Below are five points for us to consider. You can read more about each of these points here.
1. Depression isn't what the Church sometimes makes it out to be.
2. Mental illness is not a sin.
3. The Bible doesn't provide “easy answers.”
4. Anxiety and depression don't look how we often think.
5. Strong churches don't “fix” depression.
One easy way to minister to them is to say "Joe has mental health struggles" rather than saying "Joe is mentally ill." It reminds you (& others) that God's identity for them, and His purpose in creating them, is bigger than just the one issue.