October 2017: Domestic Violence
Domestic Violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another. (Source: National Coalition Against Domestic Abuse)
Log onto the website listed below to find ways to provide support for those who are suffering from domestic abuse. (And subscribe on the right so you don't miss an update!)
Domestic Violence in Wisconsin
- In 2012 - 28,729 domestic violence incidents were referred to district attorneys
- In 2013 - 55 people died in domestic violence-related homicides
- Over half of domestic violence homicides in Wisconsin are committed with a gun
- In a single day in 2014, Wisconsin domestic violence programs provides services to 1,949 victims. On that same day, 367 requests for services went unmet due to lack of resources.
- An estimated 12.7% of Wisconsin women will be stalked in their lifetimes
Statistics in River Falls
Turningpoint, the shelter for victims of domestic violence in River Falls, has provided:
- Direct services to 659 individuals
- Temporary crisis shelter to 112 clients, including 46 children and 5 senior citizens
- 4,909 nights of emergency shelter
- more that 14,000 meals
- 3,675 hours of victim services, including safety planning, legal services support, and support group services
- That God would work in the hearts and minds of all couples to help them resolve conflicts in a loving and peaceful manner.
- For the victims of Domestic Violence that they will find safety and help through one of the many agencies available to meet their needs.
- For the thousands of professionals and volunteers who care for Domestic Violence victims every day.
- For the necessary resources to meet the growing demand for assistance to victims.
- For responsible gun control law that will reduce the incidence of gun violence in families.
- For the work of Turningpoint, the local agency devoted to crisis intervention and services to the victims of domestic and sexual violence.
How Can You Help
- Financial assistance to Turningpoint of River Falls. (www.turningpoint-wi.org)
- Donate furniture, clothing, appliances and electronics to Turningpoint's second-hand store on: 125 N. Main Street, River Falls, WI.
- Volunteer or apply for employment with Turningpoint (See above website for opportunities)
-From your FirstCov Social Concerns Ministry Team